What is it?
An erbium laser peel, also known as erbium laser resurfacing, is a cosmetic procedure that uses a specialised laser with a wavelength of 2940nm to improve superficial and moderately deep lines and wrinkles on areas like the face, hands, neck, and chest. This procedure is primarily designed to address various skin concerns and deliver several benefits, including:
- Wrinkle Reduction: Erbium laser peels are effective at targeting fine lines and wrinkles, especially those that are superficial or moderately deep. The laser precisely removes the top layers of damaged skin, encouraging the growth of smoother, healthier skin in its place.
- Skin Texture Improvement: The treatment helps to refine the skin’s texture by reducing the appearance of roughness, acne scars, and other textural irregularities. It can result in a more even and youthful skin tone.
- Sun Damage Repair: Erbium laser peels can effectively treat sun-damaged skin by removing sunspots, age spots, and areas of hyperpigmentation. This can lead to a more even skin tone and a reduction in visible sun damage.
- Skin Tightening: The erbium laser’s heat stimulates collagen production in the deeper layers of the skin. This collagen remodelling helps to tighten and firm the skin, reducing sagging and improving overall skin elasticity.
- Minimal Downtime: One of the notable benefits of erbium laser resurfacing is its ability to provide significant results with less downtime compared to some other laser skin-resurfacing methods. The precise targeting of the laser minimises damage to surrounding tissues, leading to quicker recovery times and fewer side effects such as swelling, bruising, and redness.
- Versatility: Erbium laser peels can be used on various parts of the body, including the face, hands, neck, and chest, making it a versatile option for addressing skin concerns in different areas.
- Long-Lasting Results: While the specific duration of results can vary from person to person, the benefits of erbium laser peels can be long-lasting. With proper post-procedure skincare and sun protection, the improvements in skin texture and tone can be maintained for an extended period.
How does it work?
The erbium laser peel operates by ablating a thin layer of the skin during each pass. This deliberate removal of microscopically precise skin layers serves the purpose of resurfacing the skin, resulting in a reduction in the appearance of wrinkles, acne scarring, pigmentation issues, and the removal of various skin lesions.
What is the procedure?
The start of the procedure includes a numbing application will be applied for 10 – 30 minutes prior to treatment. To start the treatment we cleanse the skin to ensure all oil, debris and numbing cream has been removed. When treating the full face, we start the laser treatment on the right hand side of the face and complete two passes over the treatment area, followed by the left side. Post treatment we apply post laser lotion and a physical sunscreen.
How long does it take?
The treatment time can take anywhere from 5 min to 40 min. A numbing cream can be applied 10-30 minutes prior to treatment
What are the results and how long does it take for results to show?
Some immediate changes in the skin’s texture and appearance can be noticed right after the erbium laser peel. Your skin may look smoother, fresher, and more youthful immediately following the procedure. The full benefits of an erbium laser peel become more apparent as your skin heals and regenerates over time. In the days and weeks following the procedure, you may notice further improvements in skin texture, tone, and a reduction in the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. The peak results of an erbium laser peel are typically seen within about 2 to 3 months after the procedure. During this time, collagen production increases, contributing to improved skin tightness and elasticity.
How long do the results last for?
Usually, significant results are seen after even one treatment, but depending on the desired results, some may need several treatments and can be repeated in 6 to 12 months.
Do any other treatments compliment or work well with this treatment?
Yes, Rf Needling, Photo Therapy, Skin Tightening with Laser or Deep Rejuvenation Laser Treatments.
Is there any pre or post care needed?
You may need to cease the use of products containing retinol and begin using a pigment inhibitor serum morning and night as well as using a high SPF product every day for a minimum of 2 weeks prior to treatment.
This is to help avoid any adverse reactions such as hyperpigmentation. Your clinician will discuss this with you in more detail at your initial consultation and advise if this is required.
Post-care following an erbium laser peel is crucial to ensure optimal healing and minimise potential side effects. Here are some common guidelines for post-care after an erbium laser peel: Protect Your Skin from the Sun: Avoid direct sun exposure as much as possible for several weeks following the procedure. If you must go outside, wear a wide-brimmed hat and apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen with a high SPF to protect your skin from UV damage. Stay Hydrated: Drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated. Well-hydrated skin tends to heal more efficiently.
Is there any side effects or down time?
Yes, there is down time and can last from 3 to 7 days. Downtime may include redness, dryness and textural changes to the skin (only temporary). It is recommended to cease the use of skincare containing active ingredients, for the duration of the recovery time.
What areas can be treated?
Any area that is suitable.
Who can be treated? And who is not suitable for the treatment?
Anyone concerned with:
– Post acne scarring
– Large pores
– Active breakouts
– Ageing (fine lines and wrinkles)
- Clients whom are taking Roaccutane
Call now to book an in-depth consultation with one of our Doctors, Nurses or Clinicians: 1300 88 99 35